Danny van Leeuwen, MPH, RN, OPA
Danny van Leeuwen, MPH, RN, is the founder and principal of Health Hats, where he advocates for patients and caregivers, focusing on health equity, healthcare decision making, and communicating health information.
He previously served as the Vice President for Quality Management at Advocates, Inc., providing support services to individuals and families with mental illness and developmental disabilities, among other challenges. He also led Boston Children's Hospital's Patient-Family Experience Initiative.
Van Leeuwen lives with disabilities from multiple sclerosis and is a patient-caregiver activist who also served as a care partner to several family members during their end-of-life journeys. He is a registered nurse (for over 45 years), informaticist, and podcaster who serves widely as a technical expert.
He is also a National Quality Forum Patient and Caregiver Engagement advisor and serves as a member of the forum’s Standing Committee for Cost and Efficiency Measures. He serves on the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services-funded panel for Physician Cost Measures and Patient Relationship Codes and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality's Digital Healthcare Research Strategy Plan. He also served on the steering committee of the agency’s Patient-Centered Clinical Decision Support Learning Network.
Van Leeuwen earned his master of public health from the University of Minnesota, his bachelor of arts from Glenville State College, and an associate’s degree in registered nursing from Wayne County Community College.
Van Leeuwen was appointed as a member of the PCORI Board of Governors by the Comptroller General of the United States in September 2020.
Conflicts of Interest
As of December 18, 2022
Financial or Business Associations:
- Health Hats, Owner
- RTI International, Consultant
- Lahey Hospital and Medical Center, Employer, Spouse
- Abridge.com, Podcast Sponsor
- National Quality Forum, Advisory Board Member (Compensated Position)
- AHRQ, Committee/Workgroup Member
- Society of Participatory Medicine, Editorial Board Member
- Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine, Member
- British Medical Journal, Reviewer
- Academy of Communication in Healthcare, Member
- Innovation and Value Initiative (IVI) Foundation, Active Volunteer
- Board Member
- Strategy Committee